In a stunning move, US President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that he is withdrawing his nomination of Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) to be the US ambassador to the United Nations.

The news comes just days after Stefanik testified before the House Armed Services Committee, where she was questioned about her qualifications and experience for the critical role. During her testimony, Stefanik faced tough grilling from Democrats who sought to scrutinize her credentials and ability to represent America’s interests at the UN.

Trump made the surprise announcement in a statement released earlier today, citing “unforeseen circumstances” that have led him to reconsider Stefanik’s nomination. The White House did not provide further details on the reasons behind the decision, fueling speculation about potential opposition from within the administration or elsewhere.

Stefanik’s withdrawal is a significant blow to her prospects of becoming the first Republican to hold the position in decades. Her nomination had been seen as a key part of Trump’s efforts to restore American influence at the UN and promote conservative values on the global stage.

The development has also raised questions about Trump’s own priorities and loyalty to his allies, particularly among those who have supported him in his presidential campaign. Stefanik’s defeat marks another significant setback for the Trump administration’s efforts to shape US foreign policy.

As news of Stefanik’s withdrawal spread, reaction from lawmakers and pundits was swift and decisive. “This is a huge embarrassment for the President,” said Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY), who chairs the Senate Democratic Leadership Council. “Rep. Stefanik has proven herself to be an exceptional leader and diplomat, and her nomination reflected the values of hard work, public service, and commitment to America’s interests that we hold dear.”

For her part, Stefanik released a statement thanking Trump for the opportunity to serve and assuring supporters that she remains committed to public service. “I am proud to have had the chance to represent the people of New York in Congress,” she said. “Although I will not be moving forward with my nomination at this time, I remain dedicated to fighting for the values and principles that we hold dear as Americans.”

The outcome leaves a void in Trump’s UN strategy, which had been seen as a key part of his efforts to restore American credibility on the world stage. With Stefanik out of the running, it remains unclear who will be next in line to represent America at the UN.

Update: The White House has announced that a new nomination process for the US ambassador to the United Nations is underway, with several potential candidates reportedly under consideration.